TRAVEL/SELECT TEAM SELECTION CRITERIA
VYI Select and Travel volleyball differs from House volleyball in that teams are selected based on tryouts held in the first few weeks of the season and only the best players, in the sole opinion of the coach and staff with the approval of the Commissioner, are selected based on how well they perform at the tryouts and demonstrated potential.
VYI generally follows the rules of the league in which our select teams participate, but VYI does have additional rules that must be followed by parents and coaches. The rules exist to ensure the maximum number of participants can play at their appropriate age and skill level. Please read the following carefully.
1. Players must register at VYI's website prior to attending tryouts, and pay the appropriate House fee subject to refund or credit against County fees if the player makes a County team. Parents must read and agree to abide by all rules related to participation in tryouts and on select teams.
2. Players must attend tryouts held the first few weeks of the season and posted at this website, prior to selection for a team, even if they are injured. Injured players who do not attend tryouts will not be selected. Any unexcused absence, that is, one the player has not cleared with the coach, is sufficient reason, on its own, for not being selected.
3. VYI does not allow a player to enter its Select/Travel program, or to rejoin its program, at any other then the lowest age/grade level for which the player is eligible. Currently VYI offers Select/Travel options at the middle school level only. Advanced 6th grades may try out.
4. A player with an injury prior to tryouts is expected to attend all tryouts, and may be selected if the coach is familiar with the players' skills from past seasons, or based on the recommendation of another VYI coach. Parent recommendations or recommendations of coaches not associated with VYI, or from other sports, are not sufficient. No player with an injury may be selected solely because of a past association with another sport, or be selected at a different age level, if not selected at the appropriate age level.
5. Players are chosen at the sole discretion of the coach at that age level, along with his/her assistants, and must be approved prior to player notification by the VYI Commissioner. Selection is subjective and each coach may select anyone they wish without exception, as long as all rules above are followed. However, VYI recommends that the coach select the 9-10 players who perform the best at tryouts, within the age/grade and zip code rules above, which fit the desires of that coach for the type of team the coach wants to form. Selections, lack of selection, or reasons for selection, may not be appealed by parents.